Sunday, February 5, 2017

SBC 9 - Last Day

This is just a short post to let you all know that I've completed the Super Bowl Challenge.

Before anything else: Thank you!, Wendy Edsall-Kerwin, for hosting this challenge. It has kicked my butt and forced me to grow as a metalsmith. I've learned a tremendous amount in the past week while I struggled to get this project completed. I'm a better artist because of it.

That said, here's the (mostly) finished piece.

This is part of the Elsewhen Antiquities project. Notionally, it's a libation bowl or drinking cup from a culture that doesn't exist in our history, but might have in an alternate time. It's 2 7/8ths inches tall, 3 5/8ths inches diameter, 5 5/8ths inches across the handles. 16 gauge brass, raised, chased, etched, and fabricated.

Today's work included masking off the interior and etching the bowl, making the handles and attachment brackets and rivets, and assembling the whole thing. Of all the things to give me trouble, assembly was the worst. I'm not used to small precise fabrication. The piece still needs its final patina and finish but I am out of time and energy. I intend to make more bowls like this, partly to see if the lessons stuck, partly to see if I can improve it with some different decisions and better tooling.

Like I said, just a short post today. I'll post an overview with lessons learned in a few days after I catch my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment